Monday, May 21, 2012

Dentist, check. Doctor, check.

On Friday both of the girls had separate appointments for very different things.  The morning started with Livi needing to go to the dentist because of some mouth trauma that happened a couple days earlier.  It happened at daycare about an hour before I picked them up for the day.  When I arrived, she was still rather upset and she would NOT let me look in her mouth.  For all I knew, she had a cut lip and that was that.  Finally two days later, she let me take a peek in her mouth.  Sure enough, one of her top front teeth was pushed backwards.  It wasn't terrible and it wasn't affecting her bite because she had been eating for those two days, but I made a call to the dentist just in case.

So in we went on Friday.  Livi really wasn't having it.   She buried her face in my chest and refused to open her mouth!  Eventually with a lot of coaxing, she somewhat cooperated...enough for the dentist to get a look anyway.  The dentist agreed that although the tooth is pushed back, it's not affecting her bite (I guess I can be thankful for the overbite that both of the girls have!).  It seemed pretty sturdy, so the dentist didn't think we needed to do an xray to see if she fractured it above the gumline.  And luckily, there wasn't any trauma to the gums, so it should not affect her permanent teeth.  The dentist thinks that eventually that tooth may work itself back to where it originally sat. 

In all honesty, it's not bad at all.  Just a small deviation from her normal.  If it was bad, regardless if Livi would've let me in her mouth or not, I would like to believe that I would've noticed!  In fact, the deviation probably isn't noticed by anyone else besides us.  Anyway, the dentist had us line up Livi's first teeth cleaning!  Ha, yeah right!  If she wouldn't let the dentist in her mouth with just her fingers to feel around, do you think she'll let her in with a bunch of metal tools?  That should be interesting.

And then in the afternoon, I had to take Addi to the ENT for a one year follow up of her ear tube placement.  It's actually been thirteen months.  The whole drive there, Addi kept asking me if it was going to be a girl doctor.  I kept telling her that I didn't know (even though I knew for certain that it was a male doctor!).  She grilled me a couple more times in the waiting room and I provided the same response to her.

When we were called back, she was weighed first.  34 pounds.  Seems about right to me.  When the doctor came in, Addi got quite shy but she didn't totally object to the fact that he wasn't a girl.  After some questioning about how the last year plus has went, he looked in her ears.  The right tube has not fallen out yet, but it's no longer working and she has fluid behind that eardrum again.  The left tube is still functioning, though it has shifted and the doctor thinks that within a couple months it will fall out.  These tubes are only made to last for about a year anyway.  So we're right at that time frame.

We go back in three months for a couple of reasons...to see what the left tube is doing and to see if the fluid behind her right eardrum has cleared.  If the fluid hasn't cleared, we'll be given the option of having a second round of tubes put in.  He said that we could probably do them now, but he would hate to put a tube in her right ear when the left one may fall out soon and she may have the same fluid problem in that ear necessitating a tube on that side as well.  So we'll re-evaluate in three months.  Oh yes, and at the very end, Addi told the doctor that he was very nice.  So it was all good!!

1 comment:

kg said...

haha!! addi... what a character! I can just see her telling the doc he was very nice!