Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Sick, sick, sick.

One, two, three..  First child, second child, third child.  Whichever way you want to look at it, all the kids have been sick.  And not just a little sick.  Pretty gosh darn sick.

Loooong story short.  We're on day number 9 of treating fevers.  Actually, we're down to just treating one kid though, so that's good. Day one started with Adalyn, then throw in Alivia, and eventually add Elliana.  Then phase out Addi, and finally Livi, and now Elli's bringing up the rear.  At one point, there was a 60 hour span where I dispensed a little over 30 doses of Tylenol or ibuprofen.  I was alternating meds every 3 hours in an attempt to control the fevers, but I seemed to be losing.  The minute I thought that the fevers broke and stopped giving any fever reducers, bam, back up to 102-103.

To keep everything straight, we were writing down what med (ibuprofen or Tylenol) was given and at what time for each of the girls.  And they each had their own bottle of meds labeled with their names...in hindsight, that probably did little to prevent the spread of any germs.  Oh well, I tried.  Three bottles of Tylenol, three bottles of ibuprofen and Addi's bottle of antibiotics (oh yeah, she has ear infection #5 in the past three months) sitting on our counter.  Fun times, fun times (yes, lots of sarcasm in that statement).

Dr K thinks the big girls actually contracted influenza.  She told me that at Elli's well-baby check.  So we were doing everything in our power to keep Elli separated from the big girls to keep her a "well-baby."  But we failed.  By Sunday, she had the exact same symptoms as the girls.  And today, after a rough, rough, rough night filled with shrill screaming (this is the child who rarely cries), a 103.3 temp, some wheezing, refusing to eat anything, etc, she was seen by a different pedi and diagnosed with a bilateral ear infection.  So more antibiotics in this house.  I'm really getting sick of ear infections.

Anyway, if this post is all over the place, I apologize.  My mind is all over the place.  And my days have all run together.  Prime example...I'm Catholic.  It's Lent.  Not supposed to eat meat on Fridays.  I ate meat.  I had no idea it was Friday.  Good night!

No comments: