Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Well, we're on a roll....

Knock on wood, but I have been sent home after 3 consecutive appointments! Prior to that, I was sent over to the hospital after 3 of the last 4!!! Things seem to have settled down a bit. The contractions are more under control. I still get a few an hour, but I'm taking my terbutaline religiously. And as of yesterday, I have not dilated any further in the past 2 weeks.

My only complaint is the muscle wasting I am experiencing. Dr. L assured me that once I'm running around with 2 newborns, it won't take long for my muscles to jump back into shape. Right now, they just feel like mush. It's been 4 full weeks since I was put on bedrest, so I guess it's to be expected. But otherwise, I'm hanging in there.

Both babies remain head down, so we can attempt a normal delivery. Dr. L told me that she always delivers her twins in the Operating Room, simply because she likes to be prepared for the worst. It rarely happens, but sometimes, the 2nd baby goes into severe distress after the birth of the 1st baby, and an emergency C-section needs to be performed. Talk about the ULTIMATE birth experience!! Can you imagine recovering from a normal delivery AND a C-section at the same time? Ouchy!! Anyway, so she likes to be prepared for that...be in the OR with an anesthesiologist on hand. My chances of having her for delivery are not very good (about 1 in 6), so I will have to ask about the other doctors and how they prefer to deliver their twins.

I'm not being seen for another week...which is exciting, because that means things are moving along as smoothly as can be expected at this point. So I have an appt on Tuesday and then a full growth scan ultrasound next Friday!! By then, hopefully both babies are at least 3 3/4 pounds. By now, they should both be up over 3 pounds!!

4 comments:

Kent D said...

Hi Jess! I enjoyed reading a bit of your blog and look forward to more great news and pics of the new babes. All the best to you and Nate and the babies-
Julia

Kent D said...

OOPS! Sorry- I registered under Kent's name by accident-- but it's me, Julia C., down in Illinois now, who sent you that last message.

Unknown said...

Jess -

Glad to hear the babies are doing so nicely and you're coping with your house arrest so well. We were sad the shower had to be cancelled, too. I think it'll be a "meet the babies" shower once they're made their debut! What do you think?

Cindy Brandenburg

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear things are going good for you now. Just hand in there! You could always do a meet and greet shower then everyone can hold them and see them and play with them! :) But really I am glad things are going better, keep up the great work, mom!