Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Update about my appt

I had an appointment with Dr. L yesterday. My blood pressure looks good. It was 102/64. I don't know why I worry about my blood pressure before my appointments -- maybe it's because carrying twins increases the risk of many pregnancy complications. From pre-eclampsia (high blood pressure), to gestational diabetes, to pre-term labor, to lower birth weights (even if born at term). So yes, I worry.

Mom was with me for my appointment. She sat out in the waiting room while the doctor and I talked. When it was time for the ultrasound, my doctor went to get her. Both babies were fairly inactive yesterday. The baby on the right side was head up and feet down, while the baby on the left was feet up and head down. Oh, and I have identified our trouble maker! In case you are wondering, it is the baby on the right. And here is why...

He/she was MOONING his/her sibling! Sitting right on the face of the little baby on the left. Now, if you can use your imagination a little bit, I have drawn a picture to capture the moment from my perspective about what this little circus act looked like. Forgive me for my drawing skills, I am far from being an artist!
You can see that the baby on the right side (left in this picture -- I drew it as though you were looking at my belly), propped its little butt right on top of the other baby's face. So...in the end, I am thinking that this baby MUST be a boy, right? Only boys do stuff like that!

Mom was amazed at everything she saw -- from two strong heartbeats, to one of the baby's ankles being crossed, to another baby having his/her hands up in front of the face, to a small wave from one baby, to the detail of how the spines look. Even I was amazed at how much they have changed in the 5 weeks since I last saw them! Now Nate and I look forward to our big ultrasound on June 13th. Dr. L said that they will look at and measure everything...3 times!! I was told to prepare to be there for about 1 to 2 hours, depending on how well the babies cooperate during the measurements. We should also come away with some higher quality pictures so that I can post them for you to see. I do get pictures during every visit, but they are not the best quality and harder to make out. So stay tuned around June 13th or so! The babies will make their second internet appearance!

So the end result of this appt was more good news. The hearts look very strong, the fluids levels around each baby look really good and appear to be equal, we saw 4 arms, 4 legs, 2 big bellies, and two round heads in fairly good detail and my blood pressure is doing well. Despite all of this good news, I will now be going in for biweekly appointments. I knew it would happen sooner than if I was carrying one baby, but I didn't expect it quite this early. However, Dr. L likes to monitor twins much closer. She's being very pro-active about keeping this pregnancy running smoothly, and I like that!! So every 2 weeks now, I will get to see the babies!! In addition to that, both Nate and I will be able to see the babies on a big ultrasound machine once a month. So 3 times a month we will get a little peak at the munchkins.

No comments: