Friday, May 9, 2008

Questions everyone asks...

Q: Are you going to find out what the sexes of the babies are?
A: We are actually hoping to wait until the birth to find out. Some people have called us crazy for doing this, but we already have the nursery painted, and there are plenty of cute gender neutral clothes, necessities, accessories, etc. out there, so it's not a big deal.

Q: But how can I buy baby gifts when I don't know the sex?
A: The same way people bought gifts for hundreds of years before the invention of ultrasound. Or just send diapers!! We will need a lot of those!! Haha.

Q: Because there is a membrane separating them, that means that they are fraternal, right?
A: Not necessarily. The membrane just means that each baby has its own amniotic sac. They could still be in the same chorion, which would make them identical. We may or may not be able to find out before the birth if they are identical or fraternal.

Q: How much weight are you supposed to gain?
A: The recommendation has been to gain about 35-45 pounds, with the the higher end of that range being optimum. I am also supposed to gain the weight earlier rather than later because toward the end, I will run out of room to eat a lot and will need some extra padding to nourish the babies! I might have to start drinking supplements because trying to eat as many calories as I am supposed to every day is like eating a Thanksgiving dinner every day! Not easy to do! So we'll see.

Q: So when will the twins be born?
A: Well, the due date is November 1st. But now we are realistically looking at mid-October at the latest.

Q: Do twins run in your family?
A: Yes. Nate is an identical twin. My mom is an identical twin. And my great-great grandma had triplets. However, the fact that Nate is a twin has no bearings on whether or not we would have twins. Apparently, only the maternal line really has any influence regarding multiples.

Q: How have you been feeling?
A: Much, much better in the past couple of weeks. I don't feel sick anymore, though I will have a wave of nauseousness every now and then. And my energy level is beginning to come back! I felt so bad for Nate in the beginning because I had become a permanent lumped fixture in our bed! It was sad...and pathetic. But overall, I am feeling more and more like myself again.

Q: Will you breastfeed?
A: I certainly plan on trying. I have surrendered to the fact that I will become a mommy milk truck for a while. If breastfeeding itself doesn't work out, I am going to try my hardest to pump as long as possible. So wish me luck!

No comments: