Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Be careful what you wish for

So this weekend, Emmi had been throwing up.  I really couldn't tell if it was because she had a tummy bug or if it was because of her cough.  All of the kids have had some pretty nasty colds.  And Emmi was triggering her gag reflex while coughing and then ultimately, throwing up.  Yuck.  Poor kiddo went through plenty of clothing changes!  And of course, I went through plenty of clothing changes as well.

But anyway, it seemed to have all started with her coughing fits.  However, by the 2nd day, it seemed like she was throwing up at other times too, not just when she coughed hard.  This continued for both Saturday and Sunday.  Well yesterday while I was at work, I was telling my nursing coworker about how Emmi was throwing up Friday through Sunday, but I wasn't sure if it was cough related or tummy bug related.  She said, "well, if you end up vomiting, we'll definitely have our answer!!"

Not long after that conversation, my cell phone rang.  It was daycare.  I couldn't answer it because I had a patient in front of me.  Within seconds, the work phone rang...that's when I knew that SOMEBODY was sick.  Sure enough, they called to let me know that Addi had thrown up.  Ugh.  This was right around 11:00.  So Nate went to get her from daycare.

My coworker and I had a little laugh about how we now have our answer as to what was wrong with Emmi all weekend!!  As the day wore on, I turned to that same coworker and said how I actually hoped that by the end of the day, daycare would call to say that Livi had thrown up.  I had two lines of thinking there.  1) If it's going to be in the house, get it in and get it out...fast.  2)  Livi is inevitably going to get it, if she holds out much longer, she may miss Halloween festivities at school and may not be able to go trick or treating.

Well at 2:00, my cell phone rang again.  Sure enough, Livi had thrown up!!  I was both relieved AND overwhelmed!!  Relieved for the above mentioned reasons, but the thought of going home to a bunch of vomiting kids...yuck!

Luckily, it didn't last long.  They each went to bed a little early last night.  And by this morning, they were both feeling great and went to school.  So ultimately, I think Emmi's episodes probably had to do with both the tummy bug AND her cough.  The twins' sickness lasted about 4-6 hours each.  Emmi's lasted 3 days.  So I think she started with cough-related vomiting and then she eventually added a tummy bug.

Oh, who knows.  But definitely be careful what you wish for!!

No comments: