Friday, September 9, 2011

Latest obsessions

Doors, light switches, lipstick and deodorant.  Weird combinations, right?

Alivia must shut every.single.door she sees open.  Every one.  If they're the last two kids left at daycare when I pick them up, she has to shut every door on our walk out of the building.  First thing she does when she wakes up in the morning is to shut the girls' bedroom door, our bedroom door, the bathroom door and the small closet door.  The other morning, she shut every door, as per routine.  Minutes later, I had to go to the bathroom.  But the naughty mama that I am, I left the bathroom without shutting the door.  She came running down the hallway yelling "no mama, no mama" proceeded to put her hands on my thighs in a stopping type of motion and demanded "shut the door!!"  As I shut the door, she turned to head back down the hallway, throwing her hair behind her and said "THANK you mama!"  And just as she said that, she stopped dead in her tracks, turned back around and said "now give me a hug."  Gotta love that girl.  The obsession with shutting doors?  Well, whatever.

Then there's Adalyn.  If there's a light switch, it calls her name.  She feels the strong desire to turn on every single light in the house.  I usually go right behind her to turn each one of them off!!  She usually notices though and backtracks her steps to turn all of them back on again.  She's lucky she doesn't have to pay the electric bill!  Add to the fact that she opens a door to turn a light on while Livi has an obsession with shutting doors...sometimes a light or two will be on for an hour or more before I realize it! 

Lastly, lipstick and deodorant.  My morning routine no longer entails being able to disappear into the bathroom to throw myself together.  Nope.  I have two young kids banging on my door yelling "mommy let me in!"  That's because they know what I'm doing in there...and they want to have fun too!  Each one of them takes their turn taking the cap off my lipstick, twisting it upwards, smudging it all across their lips, spinning the color back down and replacing the cap.  From there, they must dig out my deodorant and give each one of their armpits a little tickle.  They're obsessed.  At least I probably have the best smelling kids in daycare!!  And I would probably have the scariest looking ones too if I let them go with their lipstick on, but luckily for them, faces get washed before we head out the door.

Doors, light switches, lipstick and deodorant.  It's the simple things in life!!

No comments: