Monday, September 6, 2010

I'm way behind

So I'll update about my last OB appointment first.  I saw Dr L on Friday (yes, three full days ago).  Everything is going well with both me and the baby.  My blood pressure was excellent and I was measuring at 36 weeks which was right on track.  The baby's heartrate was 162bpm.  Dr L checked to see if I've made any progress toward having this baby and I found out that I'm about 3cm dilated.  I'm trying not to get too excited about that because with the girls, I stayed stuck at 3cm for quite a long time.  In fact, I even had a 72 hour stretch where I contracted every 3 minutes quite painfully and it wasn't until my water broke that I progressed any further.  So yes, 3cm is progress, but this baby could still be a couple weeks away!  Bummer.

Dr L and I discussed the possible size of this baby.  I think the baby has the potential of being fairly large because he was measuring quite big at my 28 week ultrasound and ummmm...I love sugar.  Dr L doesn't think that he's going to be *that* large because I'm measuring right on track for my dates.  If he was going to be quite large, she would expect me to be measuring a couple weeks ahead and I'm not.  So we'll see.  I just worry because at just over 37 weeks when the girls were born, Alivia weighed 6#15oz.  If this baby is following her growth curve and I actually make it close to the due date, I could really be looking at a 9 pound or more baby!  And actually, this baby was measuring a 1/2 pound bigger than Livi at the 28 week ultrasound.  So yeah.  I just don't want to "miss" my tiny little newborn.  I'll take a nice little 7 1/2 to 8 pound baby.  *smiles*

We're definitely nearing the end.  In fact, I only have 3 days left of work and then I'm done until after maternity leave.  Only THREE days!  Wow.  Actually, I wish I could skip the last few days.  I'm getting so sick of answering so many questions to all the ER patients checking in.  I feel like I want to hang a sign around my neck that says "I'm due in xxx weeks.  No, we don't know if it's a boy or a girl.  No, it's not my first, it's my third.  No, I don't have one of each at home, I have two girls.  No, just because I have two girls doesn't mean we are hoping that this baby is a boy."  I mean come on people.  I don't know you.  YOU are the patient checking in.  Let's not discuss my obstetrical history.  I feel like wearing a mumu dress for my last few days to somewhat conceal the belly.

But speaking of a gender preference for the baby...

I set up an online baby poll for some family and friends to participate in.  And I find it quite interesting that out of the 10 current guesses (myself included), only ONE person guessed that the baby would be a girl!!!  So my question is...is it just wishful thinking that this baby is going to be a boy?  Or do they honestly think that the baby is a boy?

I guess we'll find out in hopefully no more than 3 weeks if the majority vote is right!!

No comments: