Thursday, July 15, 2010

Whew, it's over!

I took the dreaded 3 hour gestational diabetes test on Tuesday.  I didn't expect it to be pleasant, but I didn't expect to feel as awful as I did either!!  I had to be fasting for about 10 hours leading up to the test.  I wasn't scheduled to have my first lab draw until 11am (by choice because I needed someone here to watch the girls), so I got up after midnight to get a little something to eat knowing it would feel like an eternity until I could eat again.

So I got there and they drew my fasting blood sugar.  Then I had to drink the most sugary orange "pop" I've ever had to drink!  Eeew.  An hour later they drew my blood again and I was still feeling pretty good.  But during the next hour, I seriously started to feel like I was going to throw up.  And if you throw up, you need to repeat the test again on another day.  So I was determined to keep it all down!  I think my body was so confused.  I hadn't eaten in over 12 hours, so I was light headed and dizzy from that.  But then you get slammed with 100 grams of sugar all at once, so I kind of felt like I wanted to run a few miles!

Anyway, I had to go lay down in the car before I had the 2 hour and the 3 hour draw.  I felt terrible!  Turns out that I passed with flying colors.  In fact, my numbers were so low that they're not sure how I failed the first test!  My fasting blood sugar was 75 (it needed to be between 70-99).  My one hour was 107 with a range being 70-189.  And my two hour was 95 with a range of 70-164.  I didn't get the results of my last draw before I left, but it really doesn't matter.  I could've failed one out of the four and still "passed" the test.  So the last draw was irrelevent.

Yay!  I get to keep eating what I want!!  But on the subject of food, I've noticed something really strange with this pregnancy.  About a month ago I first noticed that our peanut butter was tasting funny.  Nate had just bought a new jar of Skippy (which is my preferred brand) and I said right away that it tasted like it was made with peanuts that were badly burned.  So during his next grocery trip, I asked him to get a jar of Jif.  I was afraid to get another jar of Skippy because I didn't want it to be from the same "bad batch."  Turns out that the Jif smelled and tasted the same way!  My mom confirmed that our peanut butter is fine.  And my coworkers confirmed that the peanut butter at work is also fine.  So it's just my tastebuds. 

Over the last month, I've noticed many other things tasting "weird" to me.  Yogurt, ranch dressing, corn, some potatoes (unfortunately, french fries still taste fine!!), cottage cheese, etc.  I never experienced this when I was pregnant with the girls.  I had an aversion to chicken, which I also have with this pregnancy, but I never experienced the taste changes...where I really wanted something but couldn't eat it due to the bad taste.  My taste buds better revert back to normal at some point because let's face it, I LOVE my peanut butter!!

Here are a couple pictures of the girls.  I'll update on them soon.

Addi loves wearing this hoodie.

Apparently Livi was hot.  She laid down right over the AC vent.

Playing with their water table in their new swimming suits from Grandma and Grandpa J.


No comments: