Friday, October 9, 2009

1st birthday party has come and gone

The party was on Sunday the 4th (ironically, the same day I was celebrating last year because that's the day I was taken off bedrest!) and the girls did so well. I was a little nervous that they'd skip their afternoon nap because of all the activity and then it would be downhill from there. But they surprised everyone! They showed us that they were getting tired, so I put them down without high hopes that it would actually work and they stayed down! In fact, it was getting to the point where we wanted to do gifts and cake but we were missing the guests of honor. So everyone was contemplating waking them up!

Anyway, the girls were really mesmerized by all the people and activity. They didn't quite grasp the concept of opening up their gifts, so Nate and I had to help out a little bit. But they had fun watching!

When it came time for cake, I thought for sure that Adalyn would dig right in and Alivia wouldn't even touch it. She tends to look at me like I have 5 heads whenever I put something new on her tray. So I really didn't expect her to slam her hand right in the middle of it! After she stuck her hand to her head, I think she was a little confused as to why everyone was laughing so hard because she just seemed frozen...she didn't move her hand for what seemed like 5 minutes! (I'm sure it was much shorter than that, maybe like 2-3?)

And then my little Adalyn who loves to splash and kick and cause chaos in the tub just pinched at the cake. It was almost like she was meticulously picking it apart. Taking off one sprinkle here, a bit of frosting there, back for one more sprinkle, etc. I guess it just goes to show that kids are totally unpredictable!

Oh, and I want to give a little shout out to my sister-in-law, Chelsea, for making the cakes for the girls! Sorry they didn't eat more of them (honestly, I'm not sure Alivia ate any!), but we really did appreciate you doing that for us. They turned out wonderfully, so thank you! Of course, thanks to everyone else who came to the party and helped celebrate the girls first year of life. The girls really loved your company...and the toys and clothes too!!

No comments: