Monday, February 28, 2011

Ears and Daycare

So.  Addi was diagnosed with her 4th ear infection in 2 1/2 months over the weekend.  But let's back up a bit.  She had just finished a course of antibiotics on Tuesday (the 22nd) for the last ear infection.  Then come Thursday, I could tell she was kind of "off" when she came home from daycare...really whiny, laying her head down, etc.  Something just wasn't right.  In hopes that she was just overly tired from not sleeping well at daycare, we just let her be.

She went down easily that night.  But by 10:00pm, she was waking every 10 minutes crying.  When we asked her what was wrong, she would point at her right ear and say "right there."  So I took her in to the ER late, late Thursday night (like after 11:00pm) just for a quick peak in her ears.  That's one of the perks of working there!  The docs will often take a look at simple things like that with no charge (shhh, don't tell anyone!).  The doc said that her ear was definitely red but that it could be the previous ear infection still resolving or there could be a new one coming.  He suggested a wait and see approach.  So we kept her on some tylenol to keep her comfortable.

Fast forward to Saturday morning and she was tugging on her ear even more.  Yay for no vomiting though!!  So off to urgent care we went.  The doctor looked in her right ear and said "oh wow, so that's awful."  Her left ear is infected as well, just not quite as badly.  The doctor put a stat referral in to see Dr K and gave us an even stronger antibiotic.  So I called the office this morning and Addi now has an appt on Wednesday to discuss possible tubes. 

On the brighter side, daycare is going extremely well!!  Elli has gone for two weeks now.  From what they tell me, she's doing great.  Eating well, playing well, sleeping/napping as per her usual (3-4 little catnaps).  And the big girls are finally turning a corner as well.  Addi has been good for a little while now but I was still dealing with Livi getting a bit teary during drop off.  However, the last two days, she hasn't shed a tear!  In fact, the last day, I took her to her room, took her coat off and she turned around, waved at me, and said "bye-bye mama." 

When I thought about the future and the girls NOT being sad when I dropped them off, it kind of made *me* a little sad...the fact that they wouldn't miss me.  But now that the day has actually arrived, I was sooooo elated!!  It was great dropping her off and having her be excited that she got to play with her friends.  I'm happy to know that she's content.  So no sadness for me at all!

And I guess the big girls get to go visit Elli on a semi-regular basis.  I think that's wonderful.  Elli is obviously in the infant room while the big girls are in the 2-3 year old room.  But a couple times a day, they'll pull the girls out to go visit with Elli for 30 minutes or so.  I love that the daycare is letting the big girls know that their baby sister is there too and keeping the "family" somewhat connected throughout the day.

No comments: