Monday, January 31, 2011

Oh Sleep, how I miss you

It's still rough going in this house.  The big girls are doing very well.  Livi continues to sleep through the night.  Addi is hit or miss.  But if she does get up, it's usually only once (maybe twice) and that's it.  On the other hand...there's little Elli.  She's getting worse...and worse...and worse.  The past three nights, she's been up at least 7 times in an 8 hour span.  One of those nights she was up NINE times in eight hours.  For real child? 

Supposedly it's pretty common around 4 months to have a major sleep regression.  In fact, if you start typing "4 month s" into a google search, the first thing that pops up is "4 month sleep regression."  You don't even have to type out the word sleep, just the S!!  So there must be a lot of other sleep-deprived parents of 4 month olds desperately searching for why their little ones have become little monsters at night!!

However, what I worry about is that her *true* sleeping habits are beginning to emerge.  I don't remember if I ever blogged about it, but I know I told everyone and their brother while I was pregnanct with Elli that the child never slept!!  She was awake all.the.time.  A little nudge here, a painful kick there, and a head butt just for good measure. She was around-the-clock, non-stop motion.  So when she was born and she was actually a decent sleeper, I was shocked!!  Very shocked.  So is she finally illustrating the baby I knew in utero?  Or is it the dreaded 4 month sleep regression.  I'm crossing everything humanly possible that it's just a sleep regression...because at least there's an end in sight!! 

In other news, Addi had another vomiting episode about a week ago now.  The last time she vomited, she was diagnosed with an ear infection.  This was after she vomited 6-7 different days in a 6 week period.  Anyway, I guess it was actually a week ago tonight because she was fine all day Tuesday and fine Wednesday morning as well, so the girls went to daycare.  I received a call from daycare at about 4pm that Addi just wasn't acting like herself.  After nap, she actually *asked* to lay back down.  Ummm, red flag, red flag, red flag.  We're talking about the child who doesn't sleep (yes, I was blessed with 2 of them!!)

So I left work a bit early to pick them up.  We ended up taking Addi to Urgent Care.  And guess what?  Raging double ear infection.  No fevers, no tugging at the ears, etc.  Just that one night of vomiting.  Leave it to my atypical child to not get the typical signs of an ear infection!!  Doc thinks that it puts so much pressure on her inner ear that she gets nauseous.  And it probably makes her dizzy (so asking to lay down at daycare makes complete sense!)

Anyway, $40 later, we got her prescription.  But we have a major problem.  She won't take it because it tastes AWFUL!!  So after getting 3/4 of a dose down that night and nothing the next morning, I returned to the pharmacy to have flavoring added.  Three more dollars later, nope, not happening.  I made a call to the pedi's office.  They called in a new script.  Picked up that script for $16 and Bingo!  We have a winner!!

Now my only question is why would someone prescribe a FORTY dollar nasty tasting med to a 2 year old that has to be given 20 times (twice a day for 10 days), when there is a much cheaper med available that tastes much better.  Oh yeah, and there's only 5 doses (once a day for 5 days).  So even if it tastes bad, I would only have to force feed it 5 times instead of 20 times.  What a waste of 43 bucks.

Oh well.  We're getting her taken care of.  That's all that matters.

No comments: