Saturday, November 6, 2010

Daycare and Potty Training

The big girls had their first day of daycare on Wednesday.  And it didn't go exactly like I had hoped.  The drop off was actually incredibly easy.  My mom was here to help me with their first day because I had to take not only the big girls, but Elli as well.  Plus I had their 2 sleeping bags for nap time, a package of diapers, wipes and clothing changes for both of them.

Anyway, Livi was immediately interested.  So I took her coat off and she willingly walked into the classroom and sat down at the table.  Addi was a bit more hesitant.  But with just a little bit of coaxing, she also walked right into the room and found a spot at the table.  So I was feeling pretty hopeful when I left, but apparently, that's about where it all ended.  I guess both of them took turns crying throughout the majority of the day.  Once one would stop, the other would kick in.  Broke my heart to know that they simply weren't happy.

On day 2, drop off was horrendously awful.  Livi was crying and Addi was screaming.  I can't even really describe how bad it was.  You simply have to witness it first hand.  Not a good way to start the day and I shed some tears once I got home.  But when I called to check in on them at about 11:30am, the director said that they were having a better day than the first day.  And then their teacher called me when everyone was down for nap about an hour later and told me that they were actually laughing and giggling at times.  And there was another little girl there who they were really enjoying playing with (on their first day, there were only 4 other little two year old boys).

When Nate went to pick them up, they were both in great moods which was such a turn around from when we picked them up on their first day...that was a nightmare.  They cried the entire way home.  They continued to cry even after we arrived home.  It's like they were so worked up that they didn't know what to do with themselves.  It was bad.  But the second day was almost like a 180!  They'll continue to go to daycare 2 days a week, so we'll see what this coming week brings!

We have unofficially started potty training the big girls but we're really not putting that much effort into it quite yet.  We just put their potty chairs in the bathroom to let the girls become familiar with them.  Sometime soon we'll really start working with them on it.  I don't mind changing diapers, so I'm not in that big of a hurry.  I just want to follow their lead.  Each day they become more and more aware of when they're wet or dirty.  So we'll keep building on that.  Our pediatrician actually said that the harder you try the longer it sometimes takes.  So we're just going to let things happen as they will for now.

No comments: