Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Birth Story Part 2

So...starting from where I left off, we got home early Saturday morning. Probably around 2am or so. And I can honestly say that I have absolutely no recollection of what I did with myself the rest of the day. I know I slept for a bit right when we got home. But other than that, I have no idea. Nate said we went for a walk that afternoon, but I don't remember it.

Anyway, I woke up early Sunday morning (October 12th) and definitely felt "different." By about 10-11am, I was experiencing such bad back pain. For those who know me well, you know that I RARELY miss a Packer game. Sundays are reserved for football! So I was laying on the couch trying to watch the game, but I never would've been able to tell you who the Packers were playing or who was winning because I was zoning out (by the way, they were playing the Seakhawks and they won - I was informed after the fact!!).

I was so restless. I was on the couch with a heating pad on my back. Then I was waddling around the house. Then I was leaning over the bed. Then back to the couch, etc. Anything I could do to alleviate some of the pain in my back. At one point, Nate followed me into the bedroom and dug his thumbs into my lower back trying to provide counter pressure. It helped, but the minute he stopped, the pain was back. All this time, I'm thinking that I threw my back out. Let's face it, I had just been taken off bedrest and I was huge. So of course in my head, I moved the wrong way and boom...instant back pain. I NEVER associated the pain with early labor. In fact, I remember crying that day thinking that I had to deal with this pain for another week until I was induced. Because I still didn't think the babies would come on their own.

Fast forward to 5:00 that night. I again decided to sit in the tub. After less than an hour, I got really uncomfortable (again, still very restless). So I got out of the tub. I'm not sure what I did the next couple of hours. I was zoning out again. Common theme the past 48-72 hours. At 8:30pm, I thought "the heck with it, I'm taking an Ambien and some Tylenol and I'm going to get a good night of sleep so I can start the day off better tomorrow." I thought for sure some sleep would make me better able to cope with the pain both physically and mentally.

By 10:30, I still wasn't sleeping, so I decided to go to the bathroom even though I really didn't feel like I had to. God knows I didn't want to *just* fall asleep only to be awakened by my squished pregnancy bladder. Wouldn't ya know it, I felt a pop!! But no fluid. And then I remembered Dr L telling me that I may not be able to tell if my water breaks because "Baby A" was so low and might act like a cork. Hmmm. What to do. So I sat there. 10 minutes passed and I was just about to go back to bed. Instead, I stood up, sat down, stood up, sat down, etc. Anything I could do to see if little Baby A might moves its head just a bit. Nothing. And just as I was about to give up, I felt a VERY discernible pop with just the smallest bit of fluid.

So I went to wake up Nate around 10:45pm and told him that I *think* my water broke. He immediately jumped up and asked if he had time to take a shower. I told him it was fine because I wasn't in any pain (well, I was in pain, just not any more pain then I had been in all day!!). We left the house at 11:00 and by the time we were checking in, I was really regretting letting him take that shower! The contractions had hit hard.

No comments: