Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Got earplugs??

If you enter this house, we suggest you have them. It is LOUD! Miss Adalyn Jean recently found out that she has the ability to scream. Now let me tell you, I did my fair share of babysitting for infants back in the day, and I never heard a child scream like this one. It is the most shrill, ear-piercing, shatter-the-windows type of scream you will ever hear.

Unfortunately, she doesn't just do it when she is mad or sad. She also does it when she is playing and having a good time! You can even see her getting ready to do it, because she drops her tongue back in her throat so that she can get that high pitch to come out.

It is so exciting when they learn new things, but this is one thing we wish she would UNLEARN really fast! Till then, all we can really do is grin and bear it. And keep our fingers crossed that this is a short-lived phase.

Otherwise, the girls are really starting to take notice of each other. It's so funny to watch them stare at each other rather inquisitively. When placed belly to belly, they have started reaching for each other's faces. Every now and then, their fingers make their way into the oppposite baby's mouth during these encounters.

Anyway, here are some pictures that I promised.

So I'm supposed to bite the spoon?

Yeah, ummmmm, are you sure?

I'm gagging. HELLLLOOOO, I'm gagging!!

Seriously, what IS this stuff? You trying to kill me?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When my twin girls were around five months old, they
"discovered" each other one afternoon, while lying on
their backs in their shared playpen ... Or anyway that
was the first time I OBSERVED them explicitly noticing
each other:

They rolled to their sides, to face each other, and
began smiling and laughing and gesturing toward
each other. I was SO thrilled by it that I made a
long-distance phone call in the middle of the day
(unheard of back then, except in emergencies!)
to share the moment with my older sister.

As for shrieking, I also remember when Ruthie
discovered how loud she could bellow. In the first
months of her life she had only used a quite modest
howl to get her needs attended to. But then, at nine
months old, both girls got roseola. During that scary
week of very high fevers, Ruth discovered & culti-
vated her full powers of screaming at absolutely
maximum volume. It was awful! (I should probably
also report to you that, no, it isn't something that
ever went away ... not that Ruth always or still
shrieks at high volume, but what DID persist of
it became an important and enduring aspect of
her personality; she is someone who lets you
know how things REALLY are with her ...
which is after all a pretty terrific way to
be, imo).

I'm so enjoying re-living my girls' babyhood through
yours; thanks again for sharing them with me :D))

-- dhsh (Marshfield, WI)