Monday, March 30, 2009

Goodbye, dear friend

So it's been a little over a week since I said goodbye to my dear friend "the pump." Never in a million years did I think I would miss that thing! But in a small, small (very tiny!) way, I do. What I miss is that I know I am no longer the provider of what my children need nutritionally. And hey, the cost savings wasn't bad either! While I was pumping for or nursing the girls, we went through a large can of formula about every 10-11 days. Now we go through a can of formula every 3-4 days!! Yikes!

I had a love/hate relationship with the pump though. Anyone who was in this house for any length of time knew how much I despised "pumping time." I would curse, I would cry, I would throw a temper tantrum. Ok, maybe not. But I really did NOT like pumping. In fact, I seriously felt like drop kicking the thing across the room. However, I refrained.

As much as I am sad about not providing for the girls anymore, there are a couple positives. I have freed up about 2-3 hours of my day! Between pumping and washing the parts, it was a big time commitment; time I wasn't able to spend playing with and holding the girls. So that is an incredible relief. Oh, and the fact that I don't have to stress out over trying to pump really quick while the girls are napping when I am home alone. I always kept my fingers crossed that they wouldn't wake up while I was pumping, but that rarely ever happened. I guess almost 5 1/2 months was a pretty good run.

In non-pumping news, the girls continue to learn new things almost daily. Adalyn is beginning to shriek a little bit less because she now knows how to blow spit bubbles! She drools like a mad woman when she does, but I honestly don't care. If it replaces some of that window shattering squealing, we will deal with it!!

And then there is Alivia. She showed us her new trick yesterday...she is now able to roll over from back to belly. In fact, she did 4 1/2 complete rolls last night (back to belly, belly to back, etc.). She probably would have kept going, but Nate and I had to retrieve her, otherwise her next roll would've landed her on the hardwood floor. And well, we weren't really in the mood to see how she would react to that.

Oh yes. For those of you who keep asking, I am STILL working on posting the story of the girls' birth. February and March were crazy months as far as my work schedule goes. Finally in April, my schedule is going to calm down. So I will have some time to make a few revisions. Stay tuned!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy half-birthday, girls! Six months is a BIG land-
mark ... in our family we celebrated the girls' first
half-birthday with gingerbread and GOBS of whipped cream (their parents' favorite dessert, than and now) and thus was born our family tradition of celebrating half-birthdays whenever they rolled around ... and whether you were a twin or not! And so it has been
for 40-some years now.

So here's to Alivia & Adalyn! May you two girls,
along with your mom & dad, invent and/or
discover your own unique traditions, and
celebrate them for many decades, too.

Many happy returns!

-- dhsh (your 'never-yet-met-friend' in Marshfield)