Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Appointment day and shocking news

So let's start with the numbers. I am 20 1/2 weeks pregnant. Though Dr. L measured my uterus today, and it is measuring as if I am already 25 weeks pregnant (if I was carrying 1 baby). When they measure the uterus, they measure it in centimeters. And the number of centimeters should correspond to how many weeks pregnant you are. So being that I am 20 1/2 weeks along, the measurement should have been about 20-21cm. But of course with two babies in there, I am going to be measuring larger. By the time I am 32 weeks, I could very well be measuring as if I was 40 weeks pregnant!!!

My blood pressure looked good again today. It was 104/68. The results of the big ultrasound are officially normal. The ultrasound tech had told us that everything looked good, but that the radiologist still needed to read the measurements and I would get the results from the doctor. So I am happy to report that both babies are right on target. The kidneys, spines, brains, bladders, limb lengths, etc. all look really good and there were no abnormalities present. Yay!

I am scheduled to have an ultrasound of my gallbladder next week. Dr. L also wants them to take a look at my appendix. I have been in constant pain for the past 4 weeks. But, the past two days have had me doubled over in pain to the point that Nate wanted to take me to the ER...to which I graciously declined. Both incidences lasted about 3-4 hours and then seemed to let up. Well, back to the constant semi-manageable pain I have been having for the last month. But at least it wasn't a stabbing/knifing, make me want to vomit pain!! She did check me for hernias today. That was negative. Though I now have clear instructions from Dr. L to come to the clinic ASAP if I experience that pain again because she wants to see me. And if the clinic is closed, I am to immediately go to L&D (Labor and Delivery) to have it checked out. I'm just praying that I don't have another episode. I can live with this chronic pain, but that other pain...eeeek. Not so much! So anyway, ultrasound scheduled next Tuesday just to look at my gallbladder and appendix -- no views of the babies that day!!

And finally, the shocking news. I was told that I have ketones in my urine. Apparently, when the body begins to break down fat for energy, you will often end up with ketones. Ummmm, what? How can my body be breaking down fat?! I have gained 8 pounds in the last 4 weeks...so I am averaging a healthy 2 pounds per week. I am now up to about 12 pounds gained in the entire pregnancy. But the fact that there are ketones present still means that I am NOT eating enough. Despite the healthy weight gain track I am on, my body still feels like it is not getting enough and is therefore, breaking down fat stores!! So guess what this means -- I have to eat EVEN MORE!!! I am already stuffed to the gills, so this should be interesting. But, I will try to do what I need to do for the babies. Good golly, they better appreciate me when they get older!! Haha.

No comments: